Monday, March 12, 2012

Volunteers Extraordinarias!!

From January-early March, HB was blessed to have 2 outstanding volunteers join our team for a time, Rebecca Michael, from San Diego, California and Susan Brown, from Devon, England. The timing worked perfectly such that they were able to connect with each other and put together some joint programs including art and English with the kids, and English for adults. Sadly, they both left around the same time, but we wanted to give them a special thank you for all their time and dedication to HB. A Susan y Rebecca: Amigas, les vamos a extranar muchisimo, esperemos que regresan pronto!!

Rebecca having too much fun with the older kids at HB!


Susan & Mariana on a field trip with the kids
 Here's a message from Rebecca about her time at HB:

Rebecca poses with some good friends
I was fortunate to have studied in Querétaro, Querétaro, México as a college student.  I also studied in Spain and Central America, But when people ask where I learned Spanish I always say Querétaro.  México has a very special place in my heart.  When my law firm closed at the end of last summer, I was faced with what to do next.  Since one of my passions is speaking Spanish, returning to Mexico was definitely at the top of my bucket list.

So during January and February 2012 I lived in Akumal with the goal of improving my Spanish.  My primary teachers were the children, parents and staff at the Hekab Be Biblioteca.  I could not have picked a better classroom.

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the founders, supporters and staff, especially Marianna Santigo, the new director. It has been a wonderful experience to be a part of an organization that enriches so many people's lives - from the very small who love to color and play to the older children who benefit from math instruction and reading to the adults who enjoy participating with their children or taking English lessons. 

Mi consejo  (my advice) is to add Hekab Be Biblioteca to your bucket list if only for a brief visit or afternoon activity with the children (maybe an English "lesson", the children love singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes",  If You Are Happy and You Know It" - anything with movement) or do what I did, be a long-time assistant helping with whatever comes along.  But if you can't come yourself, consider a financial donation to "keep the lights on" at a very, very special place.

The kindness and generosity of the local people will stay with me forever.  I will miss Akumal very much, it is a very special place.  But what I will miss most are the young voices calling out "Rebeca, Rebeca!" whether at the Biblioteca or on the streets of Akumal Pueblo.  A todos, que les vaya bien, nunca los olvidaré.

¡Hasta luego, Biblioteca!


A message from Susan about her time at HB:

VOLUNTEERING AT HEKAB BE BIBLIOTECA
Susan marvels at her going away gift from HB, a photo album of her with the kids at the library
For as long as I can remember I had wanted to do volunteer work abroad. The years passed by and still I seemed no nearer to doing it. Then in January, I was in between jobs… woke up one morning and decided to book a ticket and go! I was off to Mexico!

Volunteering at Hekab Be library was such a special experience for me and one I will treasure forever. Everyone made me so welcome and after only a few days teaching I was hearing the children and adults actually use what they were learning and speaking some English. It was amazing!

I would recommend for anyone to volunteer at Hekab Be. I had such fun at the library and many laughs.

I must admit I was slightly nervous to start with, but there is no need to be. It is me who wants to thank Hekab Be and the people of Akumal for having me. If you can volunteer even a few hours of your time there, it will truly enrich your life. Play games with the children, read stories…or share your skills. Any help is genuinely appreciated.

I will never forget my time at Hekab Be and the special friends I made there… I will be back! 

No comments: